The European Institutes for Advanced Study (EURIAS) Fellowship Programme is an international researcher mobility programme for promising young scholars as well as leading senior researchers. The EURIAS Programme is funded by the European Commission’s COFUND Programme. This fellowship is not offered in the academic year 2020/21.
About EURIAS Fellowships
The EURIAS Fellowship Programme offers 10-month residencies in one of the 16 participating Institutes: Berlin, Bologna, Brussels, Budapest, Cambridge, Delmenhorst, Freiburg, Helsinki, Jerusalem, Lyon, Marseilles, Paris, Uppsala, Vienna, Wassenaar, Zürich. The Institutes for Advanced Study offer international academic environments that are conducive to support the focused, self-directed work of outstanding researchers.
EURIAS Fellowships are mainly offered in the fields of the humanities and social sciences but may also be granted to scholars in life and exact sciences, provided that their proposed research project does not require laboratory facilities and that it interfaces with humanities and social sciences. The diversity of the 16 participating IAS offers a wide range of possible research contexts in Europe for worldwide scholars. Applicants may select up to three IAS outside their country of nationality or residence as possible host institutions.
- EURIAS fellowships at NIAS are in line with the common standards set for all participating IAS
- See EURIAS website for practical details
- Terms and conditions specific to NIAS: fellowships at NIAS include studio or subsidised accommodation, a personal study, research facilities, one international return ticket and a junior or senior monthly stipend depending on financial circumstances and academic seniority (maximum €2,600 junior and €3,800 senior fellow).
Application and Selection
- All applications are submitted via the EURIAS website: read more information about how to apply (e.g. and ).
- For questions about EURIAS fellowships in general, please contact the Programme officers firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For questions regarding EURIAS Fellowships at NIAS please contact Dindy van Maanen, Co-sponsored Fellowship Officer- email@example.com
- Application forms can only be accessed by opening a user account via the EURIAS website
The European Institutes for Advanced Study (EURIAS) Fellowship Programme implements Institutes for Advanced Study to promote focused work by excellent researchers in stimulating multidisciplinary and international academic environments. EURIAS is funded by the European Union as part of the Marie Curie Actions Research Fellowship Programme to encourage international researcher mobility European Commission support (COFUND Programme – Marie Sklodowska Curie Actions – FP7).
The EURIAS Fellowship Programme is an initiative of NetIAS (Network of European Institutes for Advanced Study). The Network brings together 21 Institutes for Advanced Study across Europe. NetIAS members share the objective of creating international and multidisciplinary learning communities, in which fellows are released from their usual teaching and research obligations and pursue their project in an environment that stimulates reflection and innovation. IAS tend to break from the intellectual routines, thus fostering the emergence of new perspectives, approaches and paradigms.
NIAS - NetIAS membership
NIAS has been a member of NetIAS since 2004. This informal Network of European Institutes for Advanced Study was set up to stimulate a dialogue on IAS practices, champion the role of institutes for advanced study at the European level and to pursue a structured dialogue with the European Commission on themes of common interest and on possible forms of cooperation. Within the whole network, more than 500 researchers are hosted every year for up to one full academic year.