The Writer-in-Residence programme offers fiction and non-fiction writers from the Netherlands and abroad an opportunity to work for an extended period within an international academic community. It is a collaboration between NIAS and the Dutch Foundation for Literature (Nederlands Letterenfonds) in Amsterdam.
About the Writer-in-Residence Fellowship
The Writer-in-Residence fellowship is intended for fiction and non-fiction writers who are interested in working in a diverse community of international scholars. The view is that writers and scholars from the humanities, social sciences and other disciplines will benefit from each other’s work.
NIAS and Dutch Foundation for Literature offer two fellowships of one semester each (5 months) per academic year
– One fellowship is for Dutch writers of fiction or non-fiction
– One fellowship is for non-Dutch writer of fiction or non-fiction from abroad
- The Writer-in-Residence fellowship for non-Dutch writers includes a studio or subsidised accommodation (see also Facilities for Fellows), lunches, a personal study, research facilities, one international return ticket and a monthly stipend from NIAS.
- The Writer-in-Residence fellowship for Dutch writers includes set commuting allowance (see also Facilities for Fellows), lunches, a personal study and research facilities and a stipend from the Dutch Foundation for Literature to compensate for lost earnings for the duration of the fellowship.
Application and Selection
- The Writer-in-Residence Fellowship is by nomination only. Publishing houses can recommend applicants to the Dutch Foundation for Literature
- The Writers-in-Residence are selected by the Dutch Foundation for Literature and NIAS
- For questions regarding Writer-in-Residence fellowships, please contact the Dutch Foundation for Literature – Greetje Heemskerk (for Dutch writers) or Fleur van Koppen (for non-Dutch writers) : +31-(0)20-5207300 firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com or NIAS – Dindy van Maanen, Co-sponsored Fellowship Officer- firstname.lastname@example.org
About the Dutch Foundation for Literature
The Dutch Foundation for Literature offers grants and subsidies to writers, translators, publishers, literary magazines and festivals. The aim is to support high quality Dutch Literature and to encourage a diverse literary climate that takes into account new developments as well as literary heritage. The Foundation actively contributes to the promotion and dissemination of Dutch and Frisian Literature at home and abroad.
NIAS-Dutch Foundation for Literature partnership
The first Writer-in-Residence Fellowship was offered in 1999 as part of a collaboration with, what was then known as, the Stichting Fonds voor de Letteren and later the Dutch Foundation for Literature. Over the years, this successful fellowship has brought many renowned writers from both the Netherlands and abroad to NIAS to benefit from the unique and diverse academic setting.
For the selected writer-in-residence
If you have been awarded the writer-in-residence fellowship, please click on the link below to fill in a form for NIAS administrative purposes.