Apply for a fellowship
The call for Individual Fellowships at NIAS opens on 15 January and closes on 15 March, 12.00 noon (CET). Theme-group applications for the Main Proposal can be submitted from 1 March until 15 March, 12.00 noon (CET).
Before you start
Please make sure you have all necessary information and documents at hand.
The application form consists of five steps:
- Kind of fellowship you are applying for
- Personal information
- Work and career
- Fellowship: practical information
- Project proposal
If you apply for a NIAS Fellowship, you need to upload the following documents (pdf, doc, docx):
- Full project proposal: a project description of max. 1500 words, including:
1) title of research project;
2) research topic and research question;
3) relation of the project to existing literature in the field;
4) academic and societal relevance of the research project;
5) methodology and time schedule;
6) intended research output;
7) the added value of the interdisciplinary NIAS environment;
(1500 words is excluding bibliography)
Please note: Project descriptions that are not embedded in the existing literature and do not contain a short list of references are not eligible for selection.
- CV (max 2 pages, incl proofs of excellence)
- List of relevant key publications, preferably most recent, in refereed journals/books (max 2 pages)
- The names of four international experts in your field who would be suitable to approach as referees (please list experts who will not have a conflict of interest by reviewing your proposal. Excluded experts are colleagues from the same department, co-authors, (former) supervisors and scholars involved in the current research project proposal).
For your convenience, please find the full List of Questions NIAS Application Form (pdf) here: List of Questions for 22-23
You can save your application and continue at a later moment. After submitting your application, you will receive an automatic acknowledgement of receipt on the work email address you provided. If you do not receive this message, please check your spam folder or contact NIAS.
Only complete applications that meet the formal requirements will be taken into consideration. You will be notified by email if your application does not fulfill these criteria and/or if the submitted documents are either incomplete or do not contain the information as requested.
All information supplied will be treated with utmost confidentiality. NIAS-KNAW follows the EU privacy laws and has made every effort to ensure your data is stored in a secure way with restricted access. The information supplied in the application form will be used for procedures pertaining the fellowship application by the NIAS Scientific Advisory Committee, the NIAS Academic Advisory Board, selected External Referees, the Directorate and the administrative office. If your application is successful, your information will be preserved in perpetuity for administrative and historical purposes. If your application is unsuccessful, your information will be kept for a period of ten years, as this is necessary to be able to check the fellowship eligibility criteria.
as well as the code of conduct for research integrity.
For questions about the fellowship application form, the procedure and practical matters: Anja de Haas Academic Affairs Assistant +31 (0) 20 224 67 05.