The NIAS Directorate installs an Academic Advisory Board (AAB) which has the task of advising the NIAS Directorate on the selection procedure and to rank applicants, on which basis the NIAS Directorate makes decisions about the allocation of fellowships.
Members of the Academic Advisory Board are:
- Professor Halleh Ghorashi, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, Sociology (chair)
- Professor Sven Dupré, Utrecht University, History and Art History
- Prof Pablo Valdivia Martin, University of Groningen, Cultural Studies
- Professor Erika Kraemer-Mbula, University of Johannesburg, Business and Economics
- Professor John R. Bowen, Washington University in St. Louis, Anthropology
- Professor Joyashree Roy, Asian Institute of Technology, Economics