Scholars at Risk Fellowship (SAR)
The Scholars at Risk (SAR) Fellowship offers scholars who suffer grave threats to life, liberty and well-being in their own countries, a safe location and conducive academic environment to carry out their research. This collaboration between NIAS and the Foundation for Refugee Students UAF forms part of the international Scholars at Risk programme.
About the Fellowship
NIAS and UAF, together, finance one Scholars at Risk (SAR) Fellowship each year which allows a selected scholar to advance his or her scientific career while at NIAS. The SaR Fellow will be provided with a stipend, research facilities and accommodation and have the opportunity to work with colleagues in an open academic environment. If appropriate, NIAS will arrange for a scientist, selected from a relevant field, to mentor the SAR Fellow and help with their research.
The Scholars at Risk Fellowship is part of the international Scholars at Risk Network that is dedicated to protecting threatened scholars, preventing attacks on higher education communities and promoting academic freedom worldwide. Institutes for Advanced Study have a long-standing tradition of offering sanctuary to scholars. With the Scholars at Risk Fellowship, NIAS hopes to continue this tradition by offering scholars who are under threat of attack, because of their words, ideas and their place in society, a safe haven to carry out their research.
- NIAS and UAF offer one SAR fellowhip per academic year (max. ten months).
- The SAR Fellow is awarded a residential fellowship at NIAS, which includes a studio apartment, lunches, study, research facilities (computer, library services etc) and return ticket to NIAS.
- The SAR Fellow is eligible for a stipend up to a maximum of €2600 per month.
Application and Selection
- The SaR Fellowship at NIAS is by nomination only.
- NIAS makes a selection from candidates nominated by the Foundation for Refugee Students UAF.
- Scholars who are interested in a SaR fellowship at NIAS should contact the SaR Coordinator, Ella de Lange at the Foundation for Refugee Students UAF ( +31 30 2520835 or firstname.lastname@example.org)