The Scholars-at-Risk Fellowship (SaR)
The Scholars-at-Risk Fellowship offers scholars who suffer grave threats to life, liberty and well-being in their own countries, a safe location and conducive academic environment to carry out their research. This collaboration between NIAS and the Foundation for Refugee Students UAF forms part of the international Scholars-at-Risk programme.
About the Fellowship
NIAS and UAF, together, finance one Scholars-at-Risk (SaR) Fellowship each year which allows a selected scholar to advance his or her scientific career while at NIAS. The SaR Fellow will be provided with a stipend, research facilities and accommodation and have the opportunity to work with colleagues in an open academic environment. If appropriate, NIAS will arrange for a scientist, selected from a relevant field, to mentor the SaR Fellow and help with their research.
The Scholars-at-Risk Fellowship is part of the international Scholars-at-Risk Network that is dedicated to protecting threatened scholars, preventing attacks on higher education communities and promoting academic freedom worldwide. Institutes for Advanced Study have a long-standing tradition of offering sanctuary to scholars. With the Scholars-at-Risk Fellowship, NIAS hopes to continue this tradition by offering scholars who are under threat of attack, because of their words, ideas and their place in society, a safe haven to carry out their research.
- NIAS and UAF offer one SaR fellowhip per academic year (max. ten months).
- The SaR Fellow is awarded a residential fellowship at NIAS, which includes a studio apartment, lunches, study, research facilities (computer, library services etc) and return ticket to NIAS.
- The SaR Fellow is eligible for a stipend up to a maximum of €2600 per month.
Application and Selection
- The SaR Fellowship at NIAS is by nomination only.
- NIAS makes a selection from candidates nominated by the Foundation for Refugee Students UAF.
- Scholars who are interested in a SaR fellowship at NIAS should contact the SaR Coordinator, Ella de Lange at the Foundation for Refugee Students UAF ( +31 30 2520835 or firstname.lastname@example.org)