Below are the final details and information from the organiser to help you prepare for your Black Heritage Tour. It’s a lot of information, but important, so please read the entire text carefully to ensure you have the best experience possible.
- We urge everyone to arrive at least 10 minutes early (14.50) to ensure the tour departs on time. Note: Because it’s a public dock, the boats are not allowed to stand. Once the boat arrives everyone must board right away.
- If you are late, we cannot guarantee we will be able to wait for you.
- Your guide will meet you on your tour date directly at the boat dock in front of the Stopera.
- After a brief introduction, your tour will begin. You’ll be exploring the early Black presence & hidden colonial history of Amsterdam that will be made visible while sailing along the Amsterdam canals and past UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
- Please check the weather forecast on the day of your tour. The weather can change quickly, even on a closed boat, so we suggest you dress in layers, carry an umbrella and wear comfortable walking shoes.
- There is a toilet on board the boat; however, we also suggest you use the bathroom before you arrive at the tour.
- Let us know before the tour if you or anyone in your group has any physical challenges that would impede walking at a steady pace, or will need assistance boarding the boat and we will ensure accommodations.
- On board, Jennifer’s co-authored books are available: Amsterdam Slavery Heritage Guide, Netherlands Slavery Heritage Guide and Dutch New York Histories. These bi-lingual guides (Dutch & English) are wonderful keepsakes that include full-color images and short descriptions of all the locations you’ll visit plus 100 more. The guide will have copies that you may purchase for the discount price of €10. Payments by PIN or exact change are preferred.
- The tour will end back at the Stopera / Waterlooplein.
- Duration: 1,5 hour.
Followed by drinks (first round of drinks paid for by NIAS).